So Wednesday night was my last night in Denia and it was so hard for me to think of leaving. I wanted nothing more than to stay for a few more weeks. We had my circulo, which is kind of a goodbye gathering with all the volunteers the night before someone leaves. I have been to so many of these so it was a strange feeling to finally be at mine. It was also a strange day because of the Germany v. Spain game and everything was centered around that. We ate dinner early in the gimnasio and then watched the game on the projector with all the kids who were attending the camps. They were all very spirited and made the game a little obnoxious for me and the other Germany fans, but it was fun to hear all their excitement after the win. I wanted to go to the city and experience the festivities but I figured I would rather spend my last night with my closest friends and they had no interest in going to celebrate (obviously because they are all german). So I did office for the last time and we danced like crazy to our favorite songs of the summer “release me”, “sick of love”, “alejandro”.. etc. After that I talked to Simeon and planned our meeting for the next evening at the airport.. which was quite exciting even though I was upset about leaving. I couldn’t believe our long time apart would soon be over. The rest of the night I spent with Kerstin, Annika, Helena, and Lydia on the court relaxing on a blanket, looking at the stars, sipping champagne, and reminiscing on our fun memories. I awoke the next morning feeling extremely nervous about all that would happen in one day. I ran around trying to get my clothes dried, taking pictures of my favorite spots, and saying goodbyes. When the time came for me to leave I was still putting a few last things in my bag. I was told that my driver had arrived so I began rushing around to finish up. As I did a final check for my essentials-passport/ticket, camera, phone, wallet- I could not find my passport & ticket holder anywhere. I had some help from Alice and we frantically stripped EVERYTHING in my room. I was so grateful to have her because everyone else was at work and she was so helpful, even though she doesn’t really speak English but I think my nervous squealing was pretty international haha. After a solid 15 minutes we finally completely emptied my already packed main bag and found it resting at the bottom. Needless to say, I was very relieved but a little shaken up as I said my goodbyes to the few people who were there- the rest had gone into the city for work. I tried to avoid reflecting on the car ride to the airport and while waiting for my plane because I knew it will only bring tears. My day of travels definitely confirmed for me that this was by far, the best summer of my life :)
No comments:
Post a Comment